02 April, 2009

Goin' Detox - Day 8 & 9 - 30 & 31 March, 2009 - The Homestretch

Almost there. Not that it's a big deal. Nice to be swingin' in a routine now.

Day 8 was a Monday, so starting off the 2nd week of the program. I definitely now know that my gas tank is lower than it has been in the recent past.

Last week I did 60 miles on the bike....around 20 miles per ride..good interval training and then the balance of the distance nice decent pace...around 20MPH. Today I was on the trainer and struggled for 15 miles. OUCH.  While I was still doing TMax training today, the efforts were much more difficult and the last interval was pitiful. Legs just weren't there.

I suspect the reduction in both calories and carbohydrates has really caught up with me. I've been averaging around 12-1300 calories a day....much lower than I would like, but since this is a temporary thing, I figured I could live with it. In hindsight, I think the lack of a proper breakfast and the nutrition from that is probably the one key thing. Since I don't eat eggs, a breakfast is usually a protein shake, or 1 day a week,  some toast/bread/bagel and chicken or turkey sausage. Since dairy is out in the detox, both the whey and milk in the shake are out. Consequentially, I've just been having an apple or skipping breakfast altogether. Certainly not what I ought to be doing, I KNOW, but...not any options for a quick, weekday breakfast came to mind and my tweeps didn't come back with anything that was practical.

If you have some ideas that will fit in the no grain plan, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Please leave comments!!!!!

So, here's the drill...we'll re-evaluate on Thurday and see what we can come up with to get this worked out.

Monday

BFast
Apple
Cashews
Decaf Coffee

Lunch
Mongolian BBQ Chicken & Veggies
H20

Dinner
Green Salad with tomatoes & avocado & organic grilled chicken
Vinaigrette
Veggie Soup

Tues

BFast
Decaf Coffee

Lunch
Burrito Bowl (burrito w/o tortilla)
Lettuce, black beans, chicken, salsa, onions
H20

Dinner
Turkey Chili (ground turkey, pinto beans, tomatoes)
Green Salad
Vinaigrette





3 comments:

EB said...

Completely no grain but sausages (which are usually processed, even the "healthy" ones) seems to defeat the purpose a smidge. Then again, I'm not a nutritionist & it's not my detox so what I think doesn't really matter!

Breakfast: can you do a tofu scramble with veggies? Or do a tofu-based protein shake? I often whir silken tofu with kale/fruit/flax & it's just as good as dairy.

C. Jason Mancebo said...

Sausages I've had have been made at my local New Leaf market, so no nitrates, very minimal processing and no added anything, so not to worried about that.

As to breakfast, I don't eat eggs, so the tofu scramble is out. The no eggs thing is a big challenge for breakfast...I know.


I do like the idea of silken tofu with veggies and fruit, but the estrogen levels are concerning to me. For an occasional 1-2x week, then I'm not worried, but as an everyday thing, that's something I'm likely not going to do.

I recently learned about hemp protein powder, so may try that with hemp milk or almond milk.

The flax you speak of...flax seed or seed oil?

Thanks for the great ideas!

J.

EB said...

I grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder & add the "powder" to shakes. You have to break up the seeds to get the good stuff, and seeds are WAY less expensive than the oil.

For the tofu scramble I was thinking without eggs -- just use the tofu instead of eggs. Just if you're looking for a change of pace, personally I'm more of a sweet breakfast person.

Roasted sweet potatoes?